Kubernetes has taken the IT world by storm. Originally developed at Google based on a decade of experience deploying scalable, reliable systems in containers, Kubernetes radically simplifies the task of building, deploying, and maintaining distributed systems.
Heptio’s CTO and Co-Founder, Joe Beda, co-authored this book to help developers and operators get started with Kubernetes. This eBook is a practical guide to the core concepts of Kubernetes. It also delves into the reasoning behind choosing those concepts and how they can be used to improve the development, delivery, and maintenance of distributed applications.
You will learn how to:
- Take advantage of common commands for the kubectl command-line tool
- Deploy an application including topics such as pods and labels & annotations
- Utilize service discovery in Kubernetes
- Use ConfigMaps and secrets to provide configuration information and sensitive information for each workload
- Use the Deployment object to manage the release of new application versions
Note: This is an excerpt of “Kubernetes: Up and Running” containing Chapters 4-7 and 11-12.